Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

News About Vilma Is Encouraging

When I saw Jonathan Vilma go down in the game against the Chargers, I froze.  I knew immediately that it was serious when he couldn't get up right away.  As encouraging as seeing him get up and leave the field on his own was, I couldn't help feeling a sense of dread, mainly because at that point, there was no way to even speculate about what the injury was or how serious it might be. 

Later on, I learned that he'd suffered a groin injury.  That left me even more worried because I've seen how devastating those injuries can be to a player.  But that same night, I saw a photo tag on Facebook from #51 and later a statement from him stating that he's fine and not letting anything keep him from playing in the season opener against Minnesota.  It made me feel better to see that he was upbeat and still just as determined as ever. 

Well today I found out that he flew to Philadelphia to see Dr. Meyers for a second opinion.  The good news is he won't require surgery to repair the injury.  After being assessed, he can begin his rehab which hopefully won't keep him out of the game very long.  The even better news in all this is that he actually might be able to play in the season opener--God knows we need him there.

I suppose if I had to point out any bad news it would be that we won't likely see him in the final preseason game against Tennessee.  Any fan of his knows how hype he is on game day.  He gets up with it in him and it spreads like wildfire.  It won't be the same if he doesn't get us all "crunk" on gameday morning, but to have him doing it on September 9th is the most important of all.  I will continue to pray for a speedy and complete recovery for him and I know the rest of you will too.  We need him on that field--his leadership on the defense is second to none.

That's all I have for now.  I urge you all to go over to http://www.bloguin.saintsnation.com/ and see how Andrew Juge thinks the 53-man roster is going to play out.  I just don't have his flair for that type of stuff.  I think you'll find his take very plausible and insightful.  Let him know what you think; he likes that. 

And always remember:  let your life serve as a blessing to others.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog post! I will be sure to follow your writing. I LOVE the Saints and #51!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for linking up my blog, much appreciated! I too had my heart skip a beat when Vilma went down. We just can't afford to lose him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was concerned when Vilma left the field as was everybody else in The Dome. We were on our way home when I read his status on FB! So glad he is okay and glad he thinks enough of his fans to let us know whats up! Speedy recovery QB Killa we love you!!! Geaux Saints

    ReplyDelete