Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Preseason Game #1 Is In the Books

Well, the first preseason game of the 2010 season has been played.  All I can say is I hope the outcome isn't a sign of things to come.  Although we only lost by a field goal (27-24), I have some deep concerns about the direction the team is heading in.

First of all, let me stress that it is far too early to fly all off the handle.  We're not talking doomsday here and nobody should reach for their Xanax (yet).  After all, the reason preseason games are played is to get some things figured out and to shake off all of the rust that comes from having not played in months.  With that said, let me tell you what I saw.

We have to be concerned about the big plays given up on Special Teams.  What is so troubling is that it wasn't just the group of guys who are trying to make the team.  The Patriots' first punt return was a huge one.  Missed tackles and flat out sloppy play almost led to an easy touchdown for them.  And that was only one play.  We watched it happen more times than it should have in that game.

Next, there was very poor defense against both the pass and the run.  And once again, the first team guys didn't play a bit better than those vying for a spot.  Too many times the Patriot receivers were so wide open that a novice QB could have easily threaded a ball in to them, let alone one of Tom Brady's calibre.  And the run defense was virtually nonexistent at times.  I don't know what gives, but something has to if the Saints are going to return to their glory days of 2009.  Otherwise it's here we go again (in reference to the 2006-07 seasons).

I don't even want to get started on the offensive vets.  They looked very rusty and extremely unprepared mentally.  Drew Brees uncharacteristically took a sack that he normally would have stepped out of and my favorite juker in the league, Lance "L Boogie" Moore failed to recognize where the sticks were in order to convert on 3rd down.  But these guys I wouldn't worry about too much.  They're more than capable of getting it together and getting where they need to be for the start of the regular season.  I only hope that they're just a little rusty and not suffering from limelight hangover.

One bright spot was the kickoff return by Larry Beavers.  He has a burst of speed that is very impressive and very much needed.  However, he has to learn how to hold on to the ball if he hopes to make any NFL team's roster, especially the Saints.  We all know too well the fate of guys who make mistakes during Sean Payton's watch.  Also,  Chris Ivory lived up to his billing.  I guess P.J. Hill (who was also very impressive) knows now that he is not necessarily a shoe in for that final RB spot.

If I had to guess, I'd say the most positive note from the game is that the Saints rallied from behind to tie the game up late.  If nothing else, it showed that maybe our depth on offense and defense should be okay.  It even eased my worries a bit over the backup QB situation.  Patrick Ramsey and Chase Daniel both drove the offense pretty well.  As for Sean Canfield, I just don't understand the rationale behind drafting him in the first place.  That pick should have been used to beef up that defense, particularly to provide more depth in the secondary.  Oh yeah, and DeMario Pressley, I see you, baby!  Keep making noise like that, and you're going to be just fine.

Well, that's all I've got for right now.  Let me know what you think.  Until next time, take care and be blessed.  And remember to let your life serve as a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment