Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why Jonathan Vilma Is Such A Favorite

I can't say enough about Jonathan Vilma.  The player I like to call "a one man wrecking crew" is just an all around good guy.  Not only is he a force to be reckoned with on the field, but he also takes time out to communicate with his fans.

I'm a huge fan of Jonathan's and one of his many Facebook friends.  What makes him so different (from a lot of other players) is that he actually takes time to acknowledge his fans!  Whether it's in the form of liking a comment or actually responding to one, he goes to the trouble of connecting with his peeps.  I think it's so special that he creates time to show his appreciation for all those who appreciate him.  His approachability makes him seem like the guy next door, the one whom you'd invite to every backyard barbecue or house party.  It makes him a rare breed in the world of stars.

I was just commenting earlier today about how I know it's useless to live in the past or how I realize that this is the start of a brand new season, but I can't get enough of watching the games from our 2009 season (except weeks 14-16 understandably).  The field general liked that comment.  And as I looked on, I realized that he often extended that same courtesy to others who'd left messages for him.  If nothing else, his kind gesture establishes a connection between him and his fans, as well as fortifies the bond between them.  To know that he thinks enough of his fans to come in from a rough day of practice and not only read what they have to say, but let them know he saw it shows a lot about the strength of his character.  To others it might seem trivial, but to an adoring fan, that bit of acknowledgment means the world.  It's no wonder why he has so many fans and followers.  He'll always be a favorite of mine.

1 comment:

  1. So true... So many times athletes forget to connect with fans. We as fans follow and watch everything they do and have a genuine concern for all the things going on with them. Its nice to see that after posting comments and reading articles that a player reaches out to his fans and lets them know that they are appreciatted and one of the reasons he does what he does. Vilma has always been a class act and by far one of my favorite players. But today reading this he has even became higher on my list of people I admire. He not only works hard on the field but also takes time to work hard for his fans off the field. Good job Vilma and we cannot wait to see you next year!!! Geaux Saints

    ReplyDelete