Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Let's Talk A Little Defense

When I start thinking about the Saints defense, my mind's eye sees how fine Darren Sharper looks on and off the field, with his smooth doodoo-brown complexion and that well-manicured goatee.  Any woman would have to be blind not to see what a beautiful specimen he is.  Then I have to remind myself that those are just the types of things guys think that we look at when we watch football--that it's all we know.  But it's no worse than them gawking at cheerleaders during and in between quarters.  But I digress!

I've been trying to keep up with what's going on in training camp.  Things like injuries and outstanding rookie performances are becoming more and more important as the start of the season fastly approaches.  I've checked out websites and blogs and communicated with people who have actually been in training camp so that I can pass it on to you.

Well, I hate to report that Tracy Porter is hurt again.  Apparently, it's his back this time.  I don't know the extent of it, but it did manage to keep him out of today's practice.  Also sitting out today was the rookie CB, Patrick Robinson who has a hamstring injury, as well as LB Scott Shanle and DL Jimmy Wilkerson, both with knee injuries.  Let's all hope and pray that these fine athletes will have complete and speedy recoveries.

As for Darren Sharper, I hope that he makes it back to full form and soon!  The word on the street is that Malcolm Jenkins is giving him a run for his money at the SS position.  I think that's probably a good indication that we are looking pretty solid at the safety position.  I'm worried about the other corner slot though. 

We know that Tracy can hold his own.  And I believe that as he gains more experience in the league, he will eventually become a rare shutdown corner.  He's proven that he is one of the smartest players at the position in the league having picked off Favre and Manning in the postseason.  But we're still vulnerable on the other side of the field.  I have been so hoping that the void would've been filled through the draft or perhaps through free agency.  I've been trying to learn something encouraging about the concern, but as of right now, I just don't know.  I've read glowing things concerning the newly drafted TE, Jimmy Graham and the progress of Matt Tenant.  But there hasn't been a whole lot of info on Robinson and that concerns me.  I mean, it's not like I'd expect him to come out and play this year, but if he's good enough it could happen.  I think it should be something that we all ought to be very concerned about.  We need speed and consistency at that position, not corners getting burned for 25 and 30 yards per down.  The only toast I want is with my breakfast and even then I don't want it burnt!

While I'm on it, I can't contain my excitement about having DT Al Woods on the team.  I had the pleasure of watching him play at LSU (Geaux Tigers!).  He is a very physical player and very consistent at a high level of performance.  Couple that with his speed and you've got one dynamic player.  I can tell you, if you haven't seen him play yet, he is going to be one to watch.

To round this out, I just want to add that I hope we can get better at stopping the run.  We started out doing a pretty good job of it in 2009, but as the injuries started to mount, the productivity went down and just never seemed to fully return.  I did see some promising indications that they are capable of doing a better job.  Remember how the players made adjustments in the game against Miami and shut down that wildcat offense of theirs?  We saw those same types of adjustments in other games too where teams just ran all over us at first and then got shut down.  I  hope our guys can get it figured out earlier this time around to save them and us fans a lot of anxiety.

Well, that's it for now.  Chime in and let your voice be heard.  Talk smack if you want to.  Just say something.  Us ladies do have some things to say about the rough and tumble world of football.  But you have to speak to be heard.

Until next time, be blessed and remember to let your life serve as a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment