Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lynell Hamilton Gone for the Season--Now What?

Lord, I hope this isn't the beginning of more bad news to come!  When I first learned of the devastating injury, I couldn't believe it.  I was really looking forward to seeing Hamilton shine this year.

I didn't agree with the Saints decision to let Mike Bell go.  I thought he brought something different at the position.  Because the styles of Bell, Thomas, and Bush are so different, they complemented each other in a way that made it tougher to defend our team against the run.  But they let Bell get away and I figured Hamilton would be able to restore that third strand of uniqueness that often left other defenses scratching their heads.  Now this.  So now I'm left wondering, what's next?  Who on earth is going to fill that void now?

It's common knowledge now that Ladell Betts (formerly of the Washington Redskins) paid a visit to the team.  I just don't think he is the answer though.  However, Saints Nation has reported that Chris Ivory has been very impressive in training camp.  Untried and virtually untested, I really hope he is a quick study.  And P.J. Hill is waiting for his chance to shine.  Let's pray that one of them will be able to step in and provide the same type of power at that position as Hamilton and Bell.  Reggie Bush is fast and he has shown spurts of power running out of the backfield, but not nearly consistently enough to say that he will be able to handle that load. 

So, could all this spell major trouble for our beloved Saints at the running back position?  It might.  Running backs get injured a lot.  We all remember how vulnerable the team was that year Bush and McCallister were both hurt.  Thomas stepped up and was able to claim his place, which happened to be a very good thing.  All we can do is hope that there is a silver lining underneath this dark cloud of adversity.  Maybe another diamond in the rough (like Thomas) will be discovered in Ivory or Hill.  The running game is very important to the success of our offense whether people will be truthful enough to admit it or not.  I hope that the coaches will get something figured out between now and the start of the regular season.  If we are going to repeat as World Champs or even get into the postseason, it is going to be ever more critical that the entire success of the offense does not have to rely on the arm of Brees.  We went there and did that in the NFC Championship game against Chicago in 2006.  Our best success has come with balance.  I pray that those in power to make decisions on personnel issues remember that.

Until next time, get ready because it's that time of year again!  And remember to let your life serve as a blessing to others.  Two Dat!

3 comments:

  1. tonight is the first game! WHO DAT. Can't wait. I think P.J. Hill is going to see a lot of reps this year now that Hamilton is gone for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Sheletha, you bring up a great point.... Ok as for Mike Bell yes he was a good player and a hard tough nose runner but didn't have what it took to be a Saints running back.. Not for the offense we are looking at... Now let me tell you something about LaDell Betts, I am a Die hard IOWA HAWKEYE fan and he was one of the best running backs in the big ten during his time... He is a runner like Pierre Thomas Straight thru the gap runner with speed and agility... Right with what our offense is about.. So when you got Everyone Focusing on Pierre being our number 1 running back and Reggie as the number 2, well you throw Ladell in here and there and they overlook him and what he can do for an offense. Kinda like Pierre did when Deuce and Reggie where hurt... He stepped it up and no one expected him to do what he did...Now as P J Hill I don't expect to see alot of him for the very reason that look at the three in front of him... I see special teams at the most for him... If Reggie stays healthy I see him also doing special teams and I am also thinking we may see more of him in the Wide out spot... His speed and agility out wit 9/10 DB's, corners and safety's. Well this is my take I hope you enjoyed my view and feel free to continue this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can tell that Chris is a huge Iowa Hawkeye fan! Ok, dude. I can do nothing but respect your position on this, even though you are biased. The fact is, Mr. Betts is now a New Orleans Saint, so that makes him family. I believe that he will provide depth at the RB position and we need that. Hopefully, the best remains to be seen!

    ReplyDelete