Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Status On Darren Sharper

The original trash talker, Darren Sharper, is still on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list with that pesky knee injury he suffered last year.  So, we know not to look for him to take the field against the Titans on Saturday either.  I don't know about y'all, but I really miss his colorfulness when it comes to  talking smack about other teams.  I guess you can do that when you can back it up like #42 can.

I'm worried though.  There has been so much speculation going on regarding the upcoming roster cuts that I honestly have no clue as to what might happen.  Although I think it unlikely that he'll be cut (or maybe I just don't want to entertain the notion), some believe that Sharper could be one who gets the axe when all is said and done.  That's an unsettling thought.  We've all seen what happens when depth in the secondary gets thin because our playmakers start getting hurt.  Nobody wants to think about it, but it happens.

Coach Sean Payton has stated, however, that there has been "progress in (Sharper's) workout."  There's so much open space in that statement that I don't know exactly what it means, but I suppose the operative word here is "progress".  I don't want to read too much into it, but I don't want to take anything for granted either.  When it comes to the Saints roster, conventional wisdom is out the window.

As for D Sharper, he's keeping busy.  He has rehab, of course.  But he's also been involved with a couple of public relations events.  About his status, he says he expects to be healthy in time for the regular season, adding,

“My goal is to be ready for that Vikings game. I think I will be ready."

Then he went on to say,


“It’s disappointing not being out there and watching film with yourself not on the tape. But I feel good and that isn’t me just saying that because (media) is asking me in front of cameras. I am happy with the healing process. Now it is just about getting in football shape.”

I hope that Sharper can get well and soon.  It would be devastating to a lot of Saints fans if he isn't wearing the black and gold this year (yours truly included).  I believe that he is making progress in his rehab and I know that he would like nothing more than to get back on the field.  Let's all pray for a complete and speedy recovery for him.

That's all I have for now.  Until next time, be blessed.  And remember, let your life serve as a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment